Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day Two

Today started out a bit earlier than yesterday. Kim woke me up at 6:45 because I apparently slept through my alarm clock (set for 6:30) and my iTouch alarm (set for 6:33). Not a bad way to start my morning considering that I had an extra twenty minutes this morning after I was ready to go to wait for my bus to come. When it was time to go Kim, her sister Joy and I all left at the same time. Kim took her bike to school and Joy and I walked to the bus stop right down the road at the town square. I took bus 3, which is the only trolley in town and I expected to see Jessica get on at the next stop. I was a little worried when she wasn't there but soon found her at the cafe by the train station, that cafe that we meet at every morning before going into Copenhagen. The train wasn't as bad as yesterday, not as crowded and we got there sooner.




It was the same as yesterday when we got off the metro at the Bella Center. Greenpeace was giving out free coffee and everyone wanted to hand us things. Going through security was a little longer today. I had water in my bag but they didn't seem to care although Katie had water in hers and they asked her to take a sip, I guess to see that it wasn't poison. Weird. Today started pretty slow once we got inside. Katie, Sheker, and I walked around the booths for organizations for about half an hour and talked to people from different places and got free stickers and they got scarfs. We met up with our delegation half an hour after we got in and had a brief meeting before Katie and I ran off to a US meeting on education. The meeting we sat in on was pretty interesting because it was a women from Globe who was presenting this well...globe that helps students all over the world to learn systems, which is the coolest part because that's what we are learning in house right now, a correlation? You bet. Katie interviewed the speaker after and we were told the Minnesota Science Museum has one of these globes.


Around one o'clock there was another YOUNGO action thing that was pushed by the Australian youth delegation. What we did was stage a bed in and put new lyrics to John Lennon's song about peace. Lots of people were dressed in pajamas and had pillows and toothbrushes. I didn't know about it until today so I didn't have pajamas to wear so I just took my shoes off and looked really casual. There is a video of Katie and I doing this action on the main SES site, there is an entry posted by Deon for this even on 12/8 so look for it there for more details and a video. It was once again really cool to be in a youth action and get media coverage. I was just looking at a website actually and I saw an article about it and a picture of Katie and myself only I am holding a poster in front of my face so it's impossible to tell that it is me haha.




After that I went and had lunch of these weird vegetarian patties that I don't think I enjoyed. After that I was sitting in our main meeting area and just started this blog and wrote some emails. As I was sitting there some tree activists fighting for the UN to not cut down forests. They had awesome tree costumes that looked very real. As you can see in this lovely picture.
Later Jessica, Deon, Sheker, and I got together and Johnson.com made a video of us for the sophomore to show when SES goes to recruit them at home high schools. The video was going to be played tomorrow (Wednesday) so we had to work as quickly as possible. It's not the best video and we all stumbled a little on what we were saying but it was still really cool to make that to show sophomores what they are able to do through SES.
I got home fairly early, around five and Kim's mom had just started to make dinner. I offered to help but she said I didn't need to. For dinner we had pasta with broccoli and carrot cheese sauce. It was really good and so nice to have a home cooked meal for the first time in a few days.
Later I was watched tv with Kim and her mom until like 11:30. We watched Runaway Bride on tv and ate ginger bread and drank apple juice. The apple juice here is really different here, kind of watered down...but it still had a lot of flavor..but just not as BAM your drinking apple juice, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 COP16