Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day Three

Today started off differently. I woke up to the apartment being dark and I assumed that Kim and her sister were still sleeping and that Kim's mom had left for work. I started getting ready as usual, thinking Kim would get up soon. I finally noticed a note on her door for me that said that she had already left and that I was home alone. I was like okay cool, I can get ready and just go and yeah I know what to do it will be fine. Haha yeah... Well I was a little terrified being alone. Not that anything was going to happen to me, I was just paranoid. But, everything WAS fine. I got ready with no trouble, had some cereal, locked to door and left for the bus stop. Took the 7:41 bus and Jessica came on at the next stop. Ohh I should back up a little. In all of my brightness I decided to wear heels today. Thankful I packed flats in my backpack because I knew today was going to be a over 12 hour day and I didn't want to die in those heels, although I did regret wearing them the second I stepped out of Kim's apartment complex because I was walking on cobble stone streets.



Right when I got to the conference Katie and I went off to a plenary session that was really interesting because one of my portfolio topics for the conference is the Alliance of Small Island States. In the plenary session (pictures here), a lot of AOSIS nations were talking about how they wanted to make a new policy at this COP like Kyoto and the Bail Action Plan, but India and China (large stakeholders) said that they would not sign a new policy because they think it is more important to focus on the past policies that we are started but have no finished yet. We didn't stay long and after we left, Katie and I tried to interview people coming out of the session and asked them them views on what India and China said. I only got one good interview with a party member (a pink tag as we like to call them because party members have pink on their official badges and they said "Party member" where as we have "Non governmental" and have yell tags....therefore we call ourselves yellow taggers..makes sense in the COP world...ANYWAY!) He told us that China and India were right and his views on it all, so that was pretty cool, not what I expected to hear.

At one o'clock a lot of our delegation way our want to a side event held about indigenous people. That was a really cool meeting. It was packed in the session because it's a hot topic. There were about six speakers from all over the world talking about how climate change was affecting their indigenous culture. And for some weird reasons there was a butterfly flying around the meeting room we were in. It was very distracting. The session ended early, which was kinda of lame, but it was soooo hot in there because it was packed like I said and to be honest I was falling asleep.

After daily COP shenanigans of getting lunch and checking out different places to hang out during down time and changing into the flats I brought because my feet were killing me, Katie and I went to a US youth delegation debrief of the day. It was a really cool meeting where we met other youth from the US. They are full of so much energy and are so focused and willing to do things for YOUNGO and it really motivated me and I really enjoyed it. They talked about all these amazing things that we could do like protests and actions and just meeting other youth but everything it either before or after we get to the conference or they are not at the Bella Center and we are not allowed to leave, which is understandable. But I am doing and will continue to do as much as I can during the times I am at the conference.

Today was our first long day at the conference, meaning we stayed until about seven o'clock. It was hard to find a place that I open to eat but we found a good spot and that's basically how my evening ended. I got home late and so I pretty much we right to bed. Not an amazing day but definitely fun and no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 COP16